So Mother’s Day is this Sunday. Make these for her, and she’ll probably forgive you for every phone (or, in my case, every watch) you’ve ever lost.
These crepes look fancy and all, but trust me, you have no idea how incredibly easy they are to make. The batter is just 4 main ingredients, and you cook them just like you cook regular crepes. If you haven’t cooked crepes before, don’t worry, it’s not as hard as it looks.
If you want non-pink crepes, I do have a recipe for regular, healthy buckwheat crepes, just so you know.
In terms of decoration, feel free to just throw any fruits and sprinkles of sorts that you want onto it. It’s actually so much fun to make and incredibly easy. I’d recommend always having banana, unless you (or your mom) don’t like banana. You can come up with your own creations (recommended), or just try to imitate some of the designs that I did:
By the way, did I mention how pretty the edges were? You know how crepes get that pretty, crispy, wavy, almost-lacy kind of edge? Check this out:
Anyways, don’t forget to tell your mom how beautiful she is and how much you love her this Sunday, and wake up just a little earlier to make her these crepes and show her how much you care about her. In case anyone was wondering what I’m doing for my mommy this Mother’s Day, I’m making her these pink, beetroot crepes for breakfast, baking her favorite cheesecake, taking her out for lunch, and giving her a watercolor painting of a botanical wreath with the hand-scripted gold quote, “Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever”
Notes: To make the beetroot purée, just stick the beetroots (unpeeled) in a big pot of boiling water until they’re soft, peel them, and purée them in a food processor. It may seem like a lot of work, but you can use it to make all your food pretty and pink, or use it to make beetroot nut butter chocolate cups or beetroot vanilla rice pudding with dark chocolate.
Pink Beetroot Crepes
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 4 tbsp (50g) grated/pureed beetroot (preferably cooked)
- Pinch of salt
- Toppings (e.g.):
- Banana, raspberries, cherries, blueberries, mandarins, kiwi, flaked almond, cacao nibs, melted chocolate, shredded coconut, bee pollen, etc.
- Mix all the ingredients into a bowl
- Place a pan over medium heat and spray the pan with cooking oil (or brush on a little coconut oil or butter)
- Turn the heat down to medium low and spoon 1/3-ish cup of the batter into the center of the pan
- Lift the pan up using the handle and turn the pan so that the batter spreads evenly into a thin layer
- Note: If the batter doesn’t spread evenly, or cooks before you can spread it out, turn the heat down a little, or add a little bit of your milk of choice into the batter
- When the crepe looks dry, flip it over with a spatula and cook briefly on the other side
- Slide it out onto a plate to cool
- Repeat with the rest of the batter