Guys I’m dying and my mouth is in food heaven. This shortbread oh em geee.
I’ll probably regret eating 4 of these decadent shortbread cookies later on when I’m having roast duck for dinner, but I couldn’t help it! There is just layer upon layer of flavor and texture and I can’t stop eating them.
When these first came out of the oven, I had to will every atom in me not to grab the whole chunk of shortbread and eat it straight away. It smelled so amazing. Then, I had to torture myself with letting the damn thing cool (not before eating a few crumbs first, of course).
Of course, I couldn’t help but eat a cookie as I was dipping the others in chocolate. The shortbread itself was soo amaaziinnggg. It was perfectly buttery and flaky and left behind a gentle saltiness that made me swoon. Not to mention, the salt brought out the undeniable flavor of pistachio. The pistachio itself offered a delicate crunch that differed in texture from the shortbread. I was blown away.
Then, I ate the shortbread dipped in chocolate, and my world changed again. The chocolate paired so beautifully with the shortbread and the pistachio and the saltiness and it was so decadent and delicious and perfect and I honestly have no words. My babbling is a lame attempt at conveying to you exactly how foodgasm these shortbread cookies are.
You’d think, “it’s just shortbread”, but no, these are the ultimate shortbread. Better than any shortbread you’ve ever had before. I can guarantee.
By the way, in the unlikely event that you were wondering why I haven’t posted anything in a month – I’ve been busy stressing out about my final IB exams in May, so I haven’t really had the chance to bake much, not to mention take photos/edit photos/write posts. Anyways, after my exams end, hopefully I’ll find the time then to bake up a storm in my kitchen to make up for all the time lost. In the meantime, wish me luck and enjoy these shortbread cookies xx
Chocolate-Dipped Pistachio Shortbread
- 1/2 cup (150g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1/8 cup (25g) light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (140g) flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (50g) finely chopped toasted pistachios
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth. Beat in both sugars until smooth.
- Gradually mix in the vanilla, salt, flour, and cornstarch until the mixture is fully combined and forms a crumbly dough
- Mix in 2/3 of the chopped pistachios
- Line an 8- or 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper and press the dough tightly into the pan
- Bake the shortbread for 30 minutes until lightly browned
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the cake pan. Cut the shortbread into wedges while it’s still warm. Allow the shortbread to cool completely before dipping into chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave at 20-second intervals, stirring in between intervals until it’s completely melted
- Dip the shortbread into the chocolate and sprinkle with remaining pistachio and sea salt. Enjoy!