I’ve always been a huge fan of anything involving brown butter. Remember this brown butter banana bread recipe? AKA my faavorite banana bread recipe of all time? Ever since I stumbled upon that recipe, I’ve just loved using brown butter in baked goods. It takes the flavour to a whole new level, building so much depth in the flavours and complexion. Plus, you can’t deny that it’s kinda fun to melt all that butter down and watch it foam and go brown.
These brown butter chocolate chip cookies are just so heavenly. I made them for a bake sale and they sold out ridiculously quick! Almost every person who walked by inquired about the price of the cookies, and some of them even asked us to reserve cookies for them. One person said that he came by after seeing everyone else with the chocolate chip cookies. Not to mention, so many people came back to compliment me on how delicious the cookies were.
Needless to say, this is a recipe that I will be using for many bake sales to come. This one’s a keeper!
I honestly don’t think these photos do the cookies justice. They’re suuper rich and gooey and full of chocolate and mocha chips, not to mention the nutty, caramel-y goodness of the brown butter! If that’s not a foodgasm, I don’t know what is.
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen
Makes 24-26 cookies, depending on size
- 2 1/4 cups (315g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups (345g) packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (25g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup mocha chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Make the brown butter by melting the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly. After a few minutes, the butter will begin to foam, darken to a brown color, and give off a nutty aroma. At this point, remove the saucepan from heat and transfer the brown butter into a bowl. Allow the butter to cool for 5-10 minutes, until cool to touch
- Using an electric mixer, beat the brown butter and sugars together until well combined
- Beat in the egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and greek yogurt until well combined
- Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Chill the dough for 2-3 hours in the fridge, or up to 12-24 hours*
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Allow the dough to thaw for about 20 minutes before rolling into balls and placing them on a baking sheet 2 inches apart
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the edges of the cookies turn golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes
*Alternatively, freeze the cookie dough after you’ve rolled them into balls. When baking them, simply add a minute or two to baking time