I went through so much to get this cake to work (none of which should discourage you from making it! You’ll see…)
So Valentine’s Day is coming up, and I figured I’d find a mini chocolate cake to bake in my heart-shaped cake pan and share that with you guys!
I found the perfect recipe. I precisely measured out all my ingredients and mixed them together, only to find that the batter had turned into a thick dough instead of a silky cake batter. In my state of despair, I added in a splash of milk to thin the batter, but no luck. I was utterly confused. Everything was perfect…right?
I decided to take a look at the recipe again, reading the first ingredients and – oh. It called for 1/2 cup of flour, but because I’m so used to making full-sized cakes, my mind automatically processed it as 1 1/2 cups. uGH. Unfortunately, I had to discard that batter (after eating a bit of it, of course), and starting over. You can observe this failure here:
Also, the cake is meant for a 6-inch circle pan, but mine is heart-shaped so it’s smaller. I had a little bit of leftover cake batter, which I made into a cute little bear cake! I was planning on drawing on it’s little eyes and nose and mouth with melted white chocolate, only to find that I don’t have white chocolate at home. Since when is that a thing?? What happened to my emergency stash of 3 white chocolate bars?
And lastly, lighting was not my friend today. I must’ve tried taking photos in at least 6 different locations around the house, hence the inconsistency with backgrounds in these photos.
Despite all that, the cake itself turned out amazing. Look at how fluffy it rose! It’s so fluffy and has the perfect chocolate flavor to it. If you wish, a chocolate ganache would pair beautifully with it, but a dusting of icing sugar works just fine as well.
Mini Valentine’s Chocolate Cake
Adapted from Dessert for Two
Makes one 6-inch round cake
- 1/2 cup (70g) all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons (37g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/3 cup full-fat sour cream or yogurt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon warm coffee
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar or chocolate ganache (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, sour cream or yogurt, egg, vanilla extract, and coffee
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips
- Transfer the batter into a lined and greased 6-inch round cake pan and bake for 29-32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with chocolate ganache (optional)