I know that I ramble about SORTED Food a lot, but I usually ramble about how they’ve changed my life by igniting the side of me that loved baking. Now, I’m gonna continue rambling, but this time, about how insanely amazing their recipes are. In particular – this recipe: “American Blueberry Muffins“.
Firstly, you’re probably wondering why I decided to rename the recipe, changing “American” to “fluffy”. Well, here’s why: they’re fluffy as hell.
I don’t think I need to say more to that.
In all seriousness though, these muffins are so damn fluffy and so damn delicious and I found my new favorite muffin recipe. Mind you, I make muffins all the time, but these muffins are so good. They rise mile-high and have a soft, delicate crumb with a textured top layer. Not to mention, they’re filled with juicy blueberries that break open so that you get blueberry in every bite.
I’ve never really used vanilla sugar much. I just use vanilla extract. This time, I decided to just go with the recipe and use vanilla sugar and it was so worth it. When my mom first tried it, she commented about how it was a vanilla blueberry muffin, and when I tried it out myself, I was in awe – the vanilla flavor was there. Not just a barely-noticeable sweet flavor, but vanilla.
But – on that note. I wouldn’t recommend going out and buying vanilla sugar, cause let’s be honest – that stuff is expensive. So what do you do? Why, you make your own, of course.
Last year when I went to Bali, I stocked up on vanilla pods because they’re really cheap there. I used the seeds and pod to make creme brulée, and then dried out the pod. I placed the pod into a jar and filled it with sugar and left it on my counter. Now, a few months later, the sugar has absorbed all that wonderful flavor of vanilla. Not only does it smell amazing, but it seriously heightens your baked goods! Vanilla sugar is my new favorite thing.
These muffins are little bundles of heaven, I tell you. Little bundles of heaven…
Fluffy Blueberry Muffins
Adapted from SORTED Food
Makes 10-12 muffins
- 350g all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 generous pinch of salt
- 200g vanilla caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 240ml buttermilk
- 120ml sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 225g blueberries
- 1 tablespoon demerara (raw) or brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius and prepare a muffin tray
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract
- Add the wet mixture into the dry mixture and fold gently until just combined. Do not over mix. The batter should be slightly thick and sticky
- Fold in about 3/4 of the blueberries
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases, filling them 3/4 of the way up. Top with the rest of the blueberries and sprinkle with demerara/brown sugar
- Place into oven and immediately turn heat down to 180 degrees Celsius. Bake for 25 minutes until golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean