You guys should probably all know by now that I love muffins. They’re perfectly sized on-the-go snacks, especially when traveling! In a couple of weeks, I’ll be heading off to Sri Lanka, so I’m going to need lots of yummy snacks for my long hours of traveling, and that’s where these guys come in – chocolate sprinkle banana bran muffins!
They’re not only suuper delicious, but they’re healthy too! They’re sweetened with coconut sugar and naturally sweetened thanks to the bananas, and I’ve reduced the oil to just 1/4 cup of coconut oil! But going back to the bananas – do you guys have any idea how good bananas are for you? A friend of mine just wrote an extensive article about it with 24 scientifically-backed reasons why bananas are your best friend. You guys can check out the article here (or http://www.well-beingsecrets.com/bananas-health-benefits/).
These muffins are everything you could want. They’re fluffy, and are covered in chocolate sprinkles and granola (my favorite part).
I’m literally getting hungry just from looking at these photos. I really want a muffin now.
In case any of you were wondering, the chocolate sprinkles I used in these muffins is “hagelslag”, which is a Dutch chocolate sprinkle for putting on bread. We always buy a ton of them when we go back to the Netherlands, but I seem to be the only one who eats them, so I figured I’d incorporate them into these muffins to get the rest of my family to eat them. It’s not that they don’t like chocolate, but they just don’t actively crave chocolate like I do.
Chocolate Sprinkle Banana Bran Muffin
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup soy or almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 + 1/4 cup chocolate sprinkles, divided
- 1/4 cup banana nut granola (or granola of choice)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 370 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and coconut sugar, before whisking in the bananas, milk of choice, apple cider vinegar, wheat bran, coconut oil, and vanilla
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and fold together gently until just combined
- Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles
- Scoop the batter into a greased muffin tin and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate sprinkles and the granola
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean