As the days grow short and nights grow long
As the wind blows ice and not summer breeze
As the lakes crystalizes over and force the ducks to flee (where do ducks go?)
I have one recipe that will overcome your winter blues.
One single recipe that will warm you from the inside out.
Oatmeal so creamy, it begins to take on a thick texture that makes you want to shovel spoonfuls of the steaming hot stuff in your mouth. Full of soft, textured oats and paired with the luscious flavors of white coffee and hazelnut, with a hint of sweetness from a bit of mashed banana. To top it off, with the aromatic white coffee scents, you won’t be able to resist eating the oatmeal straight from the saucepan while it’s still bubbling away, reducing the liquids until they’re thick and creamy . It’s the most comforting thing in the world.
You know how hot chocolate is super comforting when it’s cold out? Yeah, this recipe does the same. I swear, if you make this once – just once – you’ll start craving oatmeal instead of hot chocolate when the coldest days start rolling in.
And for those in the Southern Hemisphere – try it! This is an oatmeal recipe that I have year-round. Sure, I make this more often in the winter time, but trust me, this recipe is good enough to be made in the summer as well.
Well? What are you waiting for? Go and seek comfort in food!
Notes: This recipe can easily be doubled/tripled/quadrupled
Creamy White Coffee Hazelnut Oatmeal
Makes 1 serving
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2-3 tablespoon white coffee hazelnut powder (to taste, *see bottom of post)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe banana
- Raspberries, hazelnuts, and cacao nibs (optional, for topping)
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and oats over high heat, until the milk begins to boil, then turn the heat down to medium
- Stir in the white coffee hazelnut powder and salt
- While the oats continue to cook, mash up half the banana, saving the rest of it for topping
- Stir the mashed banana into the oats and continue cooking until the oatmeal has thickened to your desired consistency, approx. 5 min
- Transfer into bowl
(or just eat out of the saucepan)and top with desired toppings. Serve immediately.
*If you want to experiment with other coffee powders, feel free to do so, but this is what I mean by white coffee hazelnut powder: