~ Aromatic mocha chocolate granola – Easy, crunchy, and healthier granola with melt-in-your mouth chocolate chips and a hint of mocha ~
Let’s say you were checking out my recipe index, and you demanded, “Pick one oat recipe to eat for the rest of your life.”
I’d point at this one without question.
By the way, excuse all the weird angles with these photos. I was playing around with angles and it wasn’t until I finished editing them all that I realized that less than half of them are straight.
Anyways, let’s talk granola. Granola is one of my favorite things to make, since I get to make up the recipe as I go. They’re so insanely diverse and customizable, and they taste so good. I always have at least two different types of granola in my kitchen. Some of them are much better than others. Those are the ones I post.
Such as this one.
It usually takes me the first bite to determine whether the granola is good or not, but I fell in love with this recipe from the moment the batch came out of the oven. It was the aroma of mocha/coffee that got me. Then I stirred in the chocolate chips when the granola was barely warm. The temperature was perfect, as the chocolate chips warmed, but didn’t melt, and then cooled down with the rest of the granola. This resulted in chocolate chips that weren’t messy and melty, they could still hold their shape, and most importantly, they literally melt in your mouth.
And obviously, alongside the chocolate, there’s the hint of unsweetened coffee, which isn’t noticeably bitter, and pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the chocolate.
I know that this is a ‘clean’ recipe, so there isn’t supposed to be any white or brown sugar. This recipe does call for brown sugar, though you could substitute a liquid sweetener of choice if you wish, so it’s not mandatory. However, I do suggest using brown sugar in this particular recipe, because it caramelizes beautifully and the flavor just works better with the mocha and chocolate and almonds.
Mocha Chocolate Granola
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or honey, though brown sugar is recommended)
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder or espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white, whisked lightly until foamy
- 1/3-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius, or 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together oats, almonds, flax seeds, brown sugar, coffee/espresso powder, and salt
- Stir in the olive oil, vanilla extract, and egg white, until fully combined
- Transfer the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20-30 minutes, until the surface is golden brown
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for approximately 10 minutes before stirring in chocolate chips, and then allowing to cool fully before breaking into pieces. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.