~ These one-bowl, best ever healthy chocolate chip cookies are utterly perfect. You’ll never believe that they’re healthy! Gluten-free, flourless, no white sugar, no butter. ~
I didn’t think that chocolate chip cookies could be so healthy and so delicious at the same time. These cookies gave me so much reassurance that you can have a baked good taste amazing even with the absence of white flour, white/brown sugar, and butter. In addition to that, they’re ridiculously easy to make. You just need one bowl, and you don’t even need an electric mixer of any sort!
I keep track of all my recipes on Stickies, and under each one, I usually write a little comment. Sometimes it’ll be ‘sub stevia?’ or ‘too sweet/too dry – but worth adapting’ etc. For this recipe – and I kid you not – I simply wrote, ‘utterly perfect’. I intend to make these cookies countless more times in the years to come and I do not intend to change a single component of the recipe.
Best Ever Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
Makes 10 cookies
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 and 1/2 cups oat flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
*To make oat flour at home, simply process rolled/old fashioned or quick oats in a food processor until the consistency resembles flour
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the vanilla extract, egg, coconut sugar, and coconut oil until combined
- Stir in the oat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt until just combined
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap or a clean tea towel and place in the fridge for at least an hour
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Using a cookie or ice cream scooper, scoop out balls of the chilled dough and press them together (otherwise the cookies will come out too crumbly), before placing them onto a lined baking sheet. Make sure that the cookie dough hasn’t warmed up too much, and if they have, then place them back in the fridge for 10 minutes before baking
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies are beginning to brown around the edges
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet, or transfer them onto a wire rack after 5 minutes to cool fully. They taste amazing fresh out of the oven, but they won’t hold their shape very well.
- Enjoy. Keep the cookies stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you want a warm cookie, you can microwave a cookie for 10 seconds before eating. I quite liked the cookies chilled, but that’s up to you.