Chocolate Caramel Coconut. Damn, that’s a mouthful (Ha. Get it?).
I’m not gonna lie and say that I didn’t have a foodgasm when I took my first bite of this. I can not stress how well all the flavors worked together and how super creamy the quinoa is. Normally, quinoa is cooked at a ratio of 1 part quinoa and 2 parts liquid (water), but guess what I had here? I had 1/2 cup quinoa to 1 1/2 cup water, and then I added another cup of coconut milk, which resulted in a creaminess similar to creamy oatmeal recipes. If you want a creamy breakfast quinoa where coconut is the star of the bowl, then be sure to check out this nutty coconut quinoa!
The caramel taste comes from this 2-ingredient easy date caramel, which I’ve been adding to everything recently. I know it seems like a lot of work to make a recipe in order to make a recipe, but as you can see from the title, the caramel only requires 2 ingredients, and it takes about 5 minutes to make. Plus, it’s multi-purpose (see the post).
And where do I get started on the toppings? The chopped chocolate goes slightly melty when it comes into contact with the steaming hot quinoa, so that it quite literally melts in your mouth. The texture of the chocolate contrasts with the crunch from the nuts and cacao nibs and OMG YUM.
Notes: The honey/agave nectar is kinda optional, depending on how sweet you want your quinoa. Feel free to replace it with your favorite sweetener, to increase it, or even to omit it altogether. Also, you don’t have to use the same toppings as me, but I highly recommend you at least use nuts, cacao nibs, and chopped chocolate.
Chocolate Caramel Coconut Breakfast Quinoa
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp raw honey/agave syrup
- 2 tsp date caramel
- Pinch of salt
- Toppings (I used chopped pecans, chopped chocolate unsweetened shredded coconut, almond flakes, cacao nibs)
- In a large pot, combine the uncooked quinoa and water and set the pot over medium-high heat until the water is boiling. Lower temperature to low heat and allow to cook until all the water has absorbed, stirring occasionally (approximately 10-15 minutes)
- Stir the coconut milk, cacao powder, date caramel, and salt into the pot and cook for another 5 minutes or so, until the quinoa has reached your desired consistency
- Transfer into bowls and serve immediately with your desired toppings. Store leftovers in refrigerator for up to 5 days