I used to have oatmeal for breakfast everyday, and quinoa occasionally for lunch. Now, quinoa is like my second oatmeal. It’s so so so delicious, especially in this recipe.
The recipe makes a larger batch, so you could share it at breakfast with your friends/family, or you could do what I do.
Since quinoa takes longer to cook than oatmeal does, I prefer having these pre-cooked when I wake up early to go to school, while I can make oatmeal on the spot. Therefore, after making this, I’ll place the leftovers into an airtight container in the fridge. For breakfast, I’ll just add in a splash of soy milk and throw on a bunch of toppings.
Nutty Coconut Quinoa
Makes 4 servings
- 1 can (414ml) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Chopped nuts and shredded coconut/coconut flakes for topping
- Stir the coconut milk and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat
- Turn the heat down to low and add in the quinoa
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed by the quinoa
- Stir in the almond butter and maple syrup
- Serve with chopped nuts and shredded coconut/coconut flakes, or your toppings of choice